I’ve just finished my first week of training for my PCT hike. I bought my pack, loaded it with dead weight (the pack and two dense foam pillows for a total of ten pounds), and hiked around town each morning on flats, hills and trails. So instead of running as I normally did in the past years I now hiked with my pack and will continue until I start the PCT. My plan is to increase each week the weight (up to 35 lbs.) and distance (up to 80 mi.) along with adding in camping, cooking, etc. I also plan on going to State parks (Colorado Bend & Lost Maples) and National parks (Big Bend) over time to put it all together.
- Saturday – 10.3 mi – Lady Bird Lake Trail (flat)
- Sunday – 4.9 mi – Steiner Ranch Trail with “Crack of Dawn” Hiker meet-up (rocky)
- Monday – 4.4 mi – Wells Branch Trail (flat)
- Tuesday – 6.2 mi – 3 loops of Mt Bonnell (hills)
- Wednesday – 6.0 mi – Wells Branch Trail (flat)
- Thursday – 7.5 mi – 3 loops of Ladera Norte (hills)
- Friday – off
For a total of 39.3 miles and no problems adjusting so far.